The Classic Inca Trail is the most famous hike in South America – perhaps the world. It is a must-do and one of the biggest highlights of your trip to Peru. It offers 4 days of trekking along original paved Inca pathways and a range of spectacular Inca ruins along the way. The stunning scenery is breath taking. The Classic Inca Trail spans through altitudes in the valley from 2,700 m (8,856 ft) to mountain passes of 4,215 m (13,825 ft). Finally it passes through the cloud forest to arrive at the majestic Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu itself.
Hiking the Inca Trail is one of those things that everyone should do once in their life. Be you young or old, in good shape or not, the Inca Trail is for everyone!
- Day 1: Cusco – Km 82 – Ayapata
- Day 2: Ayapata – Chaquicocha
- Day 3 – Chaquicocha – Wiñay Wayna
- Day 4 – Wiñay Wayna – Machu Picchu – Cusco
- Duration: 4 days/3 nights
- Distance trekked: 45km/28 miles
- Elevation: 2,400 – 4,215 m / 7,872 – 13,825 ft
Pre-trek briefing for the Classic Inca Trail:
You will have an in-depth briefing with your guide 1 or 2 days before your trek. Your guide will meet you at our office in Cusco and you can take this opportunity to ask questions and make any final preparations.
Day 1: Cusco – Trailhead at Km 82 – Ayapata
We will pick you up at your hotel in Cusco at 4:30 AM! The ride to the trailhead at Kilometer 82 is beautiful! Along the way we will stop at the Raqchi look out to take photos. This gorgeous location overlooks the valley of Urubamba with the Chicon glacier in the background. From this position you can also see Mount Veronica (5,682 m/ 18,637 ft) and the Urubamba river.
After driving an additional 45 minutes we will reach the town of Ollantaytambo. This town is an excellent spot to get breakfast and buy any last minute supplies prior to arriving at the trailhead. You will also have the opportunity to see the Ollantaytambo Inca site while you are here.
We will then get back in the van to travel the final 45 minutes to reach the trail head at Kilometer 82. At this point we will go through the Inca trail checkpoint and begin our Inca Trail hike.
The hike begins with 2 ½ hours of relatively flat terrain until we reach the Wilkaraqay Inca site. From this location we will have gorgeous views of the Llactapata (2,750 m/ 9,020 ft) archeological site, which was a check point on the Inca trail approach to Machu Picchu. At this point we will go over the history of this site as well as have an overview of the history of the Inca trail.
Back on the trail we will hike for 2 hours until we reach Hatunchaca (2,598 m/8,525 ft) where we will have lunch. This will be your first meal from our incredible chef and will give you an idea of the fantastic food you can look forward to the remainder of the trek!
After lunch we will hike for 2 ½ hours until we reach our camp at Ayapata (3,300 m / 10,829 ft). This camp is a little further along the Inca trail than the traditional night one camp site of Wayllabamba. This is nice because it is quieter. We will take advantage of this feature of the camp in order to enjoy the stars and beauty of the evening on the Inca trail in serenity.
- Meals: Lunch/Dinner
- Accommodations: Camping
- Maximum altitude: 3300 m/ 10,824 ft
- Minimum altitude: 2,750 m/ 9,020 ft
- Distance to walk: 14 km/ 8.7 miles
- Approximate walking time: 7 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
Day 2: Ayapata – Dead Woman’s Pass – Pacaymayu – Chaquicocha
After a delicious breakfast we will begin our hike to the famous Dead Woman’s Pass! For the first two hours we will be in the cloud forest. We will pass through various biozones including the low sierra and the high puna. There are many opportunities to see a variety of plant and birdlife and if we are lucky we may also spot White Tailed Deer.
After this two hour hike we reach Lluchapampa (3,800 m / 12,460 ft). This is a small camp and it is the absolute last location on the trail to buy supplies. After a 15 minute break we will continue on the trail.
The portion of the trail leading to Dead Woman’s Pass at Warmiwañusca (4,215 m/ 13,825 ft) lasts two hours and takes you through beautiful mountains and the grasslands of the high Andes. We will pause at the top of this pass to admire the majesty of the highest point of the Inca trail.
We will then descend to the Pacaymayu camp for lunch. After lunch we will ascend 45 minutes to the Inca site of Runcuraccay. We will tour this ruin and then continue uphill for an additional hour to the Runcuraccay pass (3,950 m/ 12,959 ft).
After a descent of 90 minutes we will arrive at the Inca site of Sayacmarca (3,657 m /12,000 ft). At this location we will have the chance to see one of the most amazing sunsets of the Aobamba valley!
From here it is 25 minutes to our campsite for the night at Chaquicocha (3,600 m/11,800 ft). We have chosen this camp for the night instead of the traditional night 2 campsite at Pacamayu for reasons similar to why we choose Ayapata on night 1. It is less crowded and will allow us a more peaceful encounter with nature!
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
- Accommodations: Camping
- Maximum altitude: 4215 m/ 13,825 ft
- Minimum altitude: 3,300 m/ 10,824 ft
- Distance to walk: 16 km/ 10 miles
- 16 km/ 10 miles: 8-9 hours
- Approximate walking time: 8-9 hours
- Area: Andes and Cloud Forest
- Difficulty: Challenging
- One day before the trek will start, you will receive all pertinent information for your trek and our guides will answer all your questions & doubts.
- Tourist bus transport to Start of the Inca Trail: Km 82
Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
Train EXPEDITION leaving Aguas Calientes in the afternoon*
Pick up from the train station back to the Hotel in Cusco
- Campsites (camping) for 4 Days / 3 Nights
- Professional tourist guide fluent in English and spanish, specializing in hiking, with many years of experience and trained in first aid and rescue, who will lead from the first day to the last day of the walk untill machu picchu citadel.
Professional Chef, assistant cook and waiter for customer service. Our chefs are graduates of culinary schools with many years of experience cooking in the mountains.
Porters, responsible for keeping all our logistics gear (camping equipment, food), in addition, carrying 8 kg of personal belongings of each client.
- Tourist ticket to the Inca Trail and Machupicchu. This ticket will be given the first day of the trek and will be used along the way until you get to Machupicchu.
- Doite high mountain tent, that are waterproof and thermal, for up to 4 people, but for comfort we use it only for 2 people.
Restroom Tent and Portable Toilet
Camping tables and chairs
First Aid Kit: includes alcohol, bandages, pills for the altitude, oxygenated water, bandages, cotton ball, oxygen, rescue ropes, etc.
Radio communication: They are configured with radios used by workers in the Inca Trail and Machupicchu. We maintain constant communication in case of emergencies.
- During the whole trek, the passenger will have access to a great variety of food. Dishes rich in calories, vitamins and proteins that will provide all the energy that you need for the trek.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served daily and you will also receive snacks and hot drinks like infusions in the afternoon. Along with your breakfast, you will receive a cup of coca tea, which will help you to adjust to the cold air in the mountain.
- We can also accommodate special requests such as: vegetarian meals, diabetic diets, allergies, e.g. this special requests must be done during the booking process. We would like to emphasize that our menu has been elaborated by our professional chefs.
- Sleeping Bag
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu
- It does not include: breakfast on the first day; Lunch and dinner on the last day.
Mineral water & energy drinks
Extra Porter to carry personal items with more capacity that what is already included; It can be from 8kg to 15Kg
- US $579 per person
- US $749 per person
- Under 18 years Discount: US $20.00
- Under 7 years Discount: US $ 35.00
Contact Greatours Peru
Let’s Plan Your Machu picchu Tour Together!
We’d love to hear from you! Contact us using the form below and our expert travel planner will reply to you within 24 hours.
Whatsapp: +51 944946430
Email address: email@example.com