The Huchuy Qosqo trek to Machu Picchu remains off the beaten path and has amazing scenery. You will have stunning views of local mountain villages, encounter many animals such as llamas and alpacas, observe dramatic mountain peaks and a variety of local flora and fauna. You will meet the local people in rural villages and have a first hand look at life in the high Peruvian Andes, as well as walk along the footpaths of the ancients on the Inca Trail.
The signature archeological site of this trek is Huchuy Qosqo (3,600 m/11,800 ft). We will arrive at this site on Day 1 and camp there. A comprehensive tour will occur on the morning of Day 2. This site provides a picturesque environment to see examples of the master architecture of the Incas. From this location the view of the Sacred Valley and Urubamba Mountain range will take your breath away.
After two days of hiking you will make your way to Aguas Calientes by train. On the third day you will visit the magnificent citadel of Machu Picchu. Our standard package includes the premium services of the Vistadome train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, lodging in a very nice hotel in Aguas Calientes on night two, and dinner at the best restaurant in Aguas calientes. Your ticket to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain after your Machu Picchu Tour is also included.
- Day 1: Cusco – Qoricocha – Huchuy Qosqo
- Day 2: Huchuy Qosqo – Lamay – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- Day 3: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Overall distance hiked: 17 km / 10 ½ miles
Starting altitude: 3,700 meters / 12,139 ft
Maximum altitude: 4,200 meters /13,779 ft
Overall trek difficulty: Moderate
You will have a thorough briefing with your guide 1 or 2 days before your trek. Your guide will meet you at our office in Cusco and you can take this opportunity to ask questions and make any final preparations.
Day 1: Cusco – Qoricocha – Huchuy Qosqo
We will pick you up early from your hotel and drive for 30 minutes to the Inca site of Tambomachay (3,700 m/ 12,139 ft). Along the way we will pass Sacsayhuaman, Q’enqo, and Puca Pucara. Tambomachay is the trailhead for this trek and where we will meet the remainder of our team – the horses, muleteers, and chef. We will pack our gear onto the horses and start the trek.
We begin by hiking uphill for two hours until we reach the first pass of our trek (4,100 m/13,451ft). During this portion of the hike there are gorgeous views of Cusco and the surrounding mountains. After an additional 30 minutes we will arrive at Lake Qoricocha. This spectacular location is the perfect place for us to enjoy a scrumptious lunch.
After lunch, we will ascend for 35 minutes to the second pass, and highest point of our Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Piccchu (4,200 m/13,779 ft). From here the remainder of the day´s trek is downhill. During this approximately 4 hour segment we will go through scenic valleys, a fabulous canyon, and hike on a portion of the original Inca Trail. Our campsite for the night is on one of the terraces of the Huchuy Qosqo Inca site (3,600 m/ 11,808 ft).
- Meals: Lunch/Dinner
- Accommodations: Camping
- Distance covered: 14 km / 9 miles
- Time: 7 to 8 hours
- Lowest elevation: 3,600 m/ 11,808 ft
- Highest elevation: 4,200 m/ 13,779 ft
- Difficulty: moderate
- Sights: Sacsayhuaman, Q’enqo, Lake Qoricocha, Huchuy Qosqo Complex
Day 2: Huchuy Qosqo – Lamay – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
We will wake up early to have a fantastic breakfast at our camp. After breakfast, we will have an extensive tour of the Huchuy Qosqo archeological site.
After our tour we will hike downhill for 2 to 3 hours to Lamay (3,000 m/ 9,840 ft). In Lamay we will have lunch. After lunch, our van will be waiting to drive us to Ollantaytambo (2,840 m / 9,315 ft), where we can do a short walking tour in the town.
From Ollantaytambo we will catch the luxury Vistadome train to Aguas Calientes. When we arrive you will check in to your hotel room. The natural hot springs in town are a great way to spend a late afternoon/early evening if time is available before dinner. Dinner will be at the finest restaurant.
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
- Accommodations: Hotel
- Minimum altitude: 3,000 m/ 9,840 ft
- Maximum altitude: 3,600 m/ 11,808 ft
- Distance to walk: 3 km (1.5 miles)
- Approximate walking time: 2 to 3 hours
- Difficulty: moderate
- Sights: Huchuy Qosqo Inca ruins, Ollantaytambo
Day 3: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
You will have breakfast at your hotel before we take a very early bus (5:30am) along the winding road to Machu Picchu to see the magnificent sunrise. Once there you will be given at 2 hour walking tour of the site.
If you have elected to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain (the price of this is included in your Huchuy Qosqo Trek price), you will begin the hike at 10 AM. If you are not climbing the mountain you will have free time to explore the site, hike to the Sun Gate, or hike to the Inca Bridge before you return to Aguas Calientes by bus.
Upon arrival in Aguas Calientes you will board the expedition train to Ollantaytambo. From Ollantaytambo you will travel by private van to Cusco and we will drop you off at your hotel. Arrival time in Cusco depends on the time of your train ticket.
- Meals: Breakfast
- Lowest Elevation: 2,040 m/ 6,691 ft
- Highest Elevation: 2,440 m/ 8,052 ft
Services Included in the Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Picchu:
- Bilingual English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more)
- Pre-Departure Briefing at your hotel 1 or 2 days before your trek.
- Pick up from your hotel and transportation to Tambomachay
- Four-person tent for every 2 people.
- Inflatable Mattress
- Kitchen tent
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Toilet tent
- Muleteers and horses to carry all the equipment (food, tents, chairs, table, etc.)
- Horse to transport 8 kg of your personal gear
- Duffle bag for your personal gear
- Emergency horse in case we need it
- Two breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners
- Hot water for washing.
- Daily morning boiled and cold water to fill the water bottles.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
- Vistadome train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Expedition train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- One night hotel accommodation in Aguas Calientes (double occupancy)
- Ticket for Huayna Picchu mountain
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Round trip bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
Services not included in the Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Picchu:
- Sleeping bag – you can rent one from us
- Day 1 Breakfast
- Day 3 Lunch in Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the crew (guide, chef, wranglers)
What to bring:
- Original passport (if you have acquired a new one after you made your booking, bring both)
- Down or synthetic feather sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- Clothes (trekking boots, warm fleece jacket, tops, a few t-shirts, socks, sun hat, thermal underwear, light long pants, gloves, poncho, rain jacket)
- Toiletries (toilet paper, wet wipes, personal towel)
- Sun block, factor 35+ recommended
- Head lamp
- Sunglasses and sun hat
- Camera with spare batteries – batteries run down faster at high altitudes
- Book to read (you will have some time at every camp to read your favorite book)
- Trekking poles (recommended especially for the steep descents, can be rented from us)
- Insect repellent
- US $620 per Person
- US $670 per Person
- Under 18 years Discount: US $20.00
- Under 7 years Discount: US $35.00
Contact Greatours Peru
Let’s Plan Your Machu picchu Tour Together!
We’d love to hear from you! Contact us using the form below and our expert travel planner will reply to you within 24 hours.
Whatsapp: +51 944946430
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org